2021 at Stowey Green

Now all the track is laid to the rolling stock’s satisfaction this is the current state of Stowey Green.

I have built a scenic ‘back board’ and have scenic art work to add to it.

Now it’s time to add the station access roadway in – and give the landscape a bit of colour.

More Stowey Green Track Issues

I noticed that some of my longer wheelbase locomotives were struggling at one end of the upper board..
Caused by the classic flexible track ‘dog leg’ effect where the curve is to tight..

So it was back out with my steamer to unballast the offending track..

As before I dealt with the problem by using a spare piece of peco set-track.
.. I also decided not to cut the track between the boards as it give a smother run for the locos.

I will probably ballast the track on the upper board (right side) but leave the left clear so I just unhook at the fishplates should I need to remove the upper board for any reason.

Bit more scenery at Stowey Green

Now the Christmas holidays are over I have been able to ‘unhide’ Stowey Green from the corner of the dining room..

I have added a bit more hilly/undulating ground on the main Stowey Green board. I think it helps to prevent the flat baseboard look.

First stage was to glue down some good old polystyrene ..

.

Then glue down some J Cloth…

Next I use a mix of poster paints and PVA glue to usually a sort of dark green to use as a base colour for later.
.. This is the finished result – not so easy to see – but will be clearer later.

Emergency Track Laying at Stowey Green

.. Just goes to show that you can never test the track enough…
I discovered that the track in the inner sidings had created what is known as a ‘dog leg’ on the flexible track just after the point.. Which caused some of my locomotives to gaily throw themselves off the track..

So I decided the best course of action was to pull this section of track up and try again…
…. with a bit of steam.. and reasonable care I managed to get the track off.

Fortunately this section of track only had one power connection and a single point to contend with.

So here is the inner section with the re-laid track.

.. In order to be sure of a proper curve this time I used a 2nd radius half curve of track..

After reconnecting the power and refitting the point (and LOTS of testing) the the track was ballasted (again)..

.

While I was doing the ballasting I also added a bit more ‘scenery’ as can be seen with the glued down J-Cloth over a few pieces of polystyrene.
I have added a few areas of undulating ground to try and stop everything looking flat..

Presents under the Christmas Tree

A ‘surprise’ present from Santa for me and the wife from under the Christmas Tree…
… A Beatles themed Eurostar Trainset..

Believe it of not is really for both of us.. My Misses is a train lover – and more importantly a bit of a Hippy..

.. Running photographs to follow…

Early Christmas Presents for Stowey Green

I have managed to get some of the increasingly rare Hornby ‘Lyddle End’ End Gauge Cottages for the Stowey Green Layout.

… I am working on the scenery of Stowey Green, so more pictures of what has been happening – including the new cottages will be here soon.

More Scenery Track Ballasting at Stowey Green

I have been busy working on the hillside scenery and ballasting the track. Unfortunately there are no pictures of the rather messy construction of the ‘hillside’. In keeping with the recycled nature of this layout it was built using the rather messy ‘J cloth’, PVA glue method with bits of polystyrene which was using in the original Burton Crumpnold layout.

Next was the track ballasting.
I found the ballasting process much harder in N the ‘OO’.
The ballast is much finer so even with care it was easy to foul up the points.

Everything has been tested and all seems to be OK, just a bit more cleaning to do to improve the ‘look’ of the track bed.

The next stage is to work out the details of roads and ‘the countryside’.

So here is the layout with all the current buildings. The yellow pencil lines is the proposed ‘road’ using a level crossing towards the top left of the layout.

Full Control at Stowey Green

The control panel for Stowey Green is complete..
.. Here it is with its associated GaugeMaster DS controller all connected up.

With everything connected I have been busy testing all of the ‘Cab Control’ switchable track sections and the point operations.
There were a few issues, mostly involving points going the wrong way, which was easy to fix by swapping a wire. There was only one poor connection which was a pleasant surprise, especially considering how many wires there are, both in the box and under the baseboard…

And this is the view at the back with the 2x 25 way connectors (Track Power & Points) and a 9 way going to the DC GaugeMaster controller,

Next job, after a nice period of just running a few trains, is to ballast the track.